NOTES FROM THE FARM
Each week, owner of Stone Hollow Farmstead, Deborah Stone will offer a behind-the-scenes look at life on the farm, in hopes of sharing the entire journey of our farm to your table.
This week on the farm we are still working on cutting dahlias, while planting Snap Dragons and digging up the last of the ginger. The drought is really making us nervous, as it’s beginning to affect the animals. We have resorted to feeding leftover pumpkins to the chickens and increased their protein intake to keep them strong. The goats and horses are now on full hay and grain diets, as there is no grass. We are hopeful the grass will not die completely. Because the pond is so low, we set up a sprinkler so the ducks can take their baths.
THIS WEEK'S CSA SHARE
A complete list of what's in the bag for this week.
- Radishes – Stone Hollow Farmstead, Birmingham, AL
- Bok Choy – Stone Hollow Farmstead, Birmingham, AL
- Mascarpone – Stone Hollow Farmstead, Birmingham, AL
- Purple Bell Peppers – Stone Hollow Farmstead, Birmingham, AL
- Butterbeans – Chilton County, AL
- French Baguette – Cory Hinkle, Birmingham, AL
- Tomatoes – Brothers Farms, Blount County, AL
- Aura, Tohi Romanians and Green Gourmet Peppers – Mount Laurel Farms, Birmingham, AL
- Shitake Mushrooms – Grandview Farms, Hamilton, AL
- Golden Delicious Apples – Whited Farms, Oneonta, AL
Cheese + Yogurt Share*
- Red Dragon Cheddar Cheese – Great Britain
- Cows Milk Yogurt – Stone Hollow Farmstead, Birmingham, AL
* for information on add-on shares, visit the CSA page.
All recipes are selected to offer cooking suggestions on how to prepare the contents of your weekly share.
Don't forget to show off your food styling skills! Use hashtag #stonehollowcsa and tag us on Instagram @stonehollowfarmstead