NOTES FROM THE FARM
Each week, owner of Stone Hollow Farmstead, Deborah Stone will offer a behind-the-scenes look at life on the farm, in hopes of sharing the entire journey of our farm to your table.
This week, we installed a greenhouse, just in time for freezing temperatures. We are so excited for the rainfall, but it will take awhile until we are comfortable again. The ranunculus came, and we are trying to keep the buds from getting frozen. Low tunnel and high tunnel hoop houses are being installed the beginning of the week, in preparation of the freeze coming on Thursday. Our first baby goat was born last week prematurely. We lost it, but it is a positive indicator that they are coming quickly. We are so excited to welcome them home.
THIS WEEK'S CSA SHARE
A complete list of what's in the bag for this week.
- Cabbage – Owls Hollow Hydroponic Farm, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Oranges – Mr. Castner, Apalachicola, Florida
- Tangerines – Mr. Castner, Apalachicola, Florida
- Kumquats – Mr. Castner, Apalachicola, Florida
- Breakfast Sausage – Heron Hollow Farm, Chilton County
- Kale – Stone Hollow Farmstead, Birmingham, Alabama
- Butterhead Lettuce – Owls Hollow Hydroponic Farm, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Nasturtiums – Owls Hollow Hydroponic Farm, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Blue Hubbard and Red Kuri Squash – Heron Hollow Farm, Chilton County
- Panettone – Corey Hinkel, Birmingham, Alabama
- Red Lollo Rossa Lettuce - Owls Hollow Hydroponic Farm, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Cheese + Yogurt*
- Tulip Tree Fox Glove Cheese – Indianapolis, Indiana
* for information on add-on shares, visit the CSA page.
All recipes are selected to offer cooking suggestions on how to prepare the contents of your weekly share
- Roasted Carrots with Nasturtiums
Don't forget to show off your food styling skills! Use hashtag #stonehollowcsa and tag us on Instagram @stonehollowfarmstead