NOTES FROM THE FARM
Each week, owner of Stone Hollow Farmstead, Deborah Stone will offer a behind-the-scenes look at life on the farm, in hopes of sharing the entire journey of our farm to your table.
Activity on the farm has been fairly repetitive and mundane. The goats don’t want to be out in the rain and remain inside eating feed and getting their hoofs detailed. That is good timing for a pedicure with it being mating season! The weather has been like that of fall, and so we are seeing leaves drop early. Because of this, we are beginning to plant already fall crops we wouldn’t plant for another two weeks.
We are continuing with our mass production of Marys to hold us over for the rest of the year. The Marys hung out with Botaniko at Southern Makers last Saturday and Sunday. Along with featuring them in our booth, they were served to the VIP with Cathead Vodka and Clyde Mays Gin. We always love participating, and this year it was especially a joy being with it held in Birmingham and in such a special locale, under the 1st Avenue North viaduct at Sloss Furnace. Some of our team was lucky enough to attend the kickoff dinner held last Friday night on 29th Street right where our booth sits every Saturday morning for Pepper Place Market. The five-course dinner was hosted by chefs from around the Southeast, We provided flowers and dairy for the dessert Chef James Lewis of Bettola composed. It was an extraordinary weekend, and we cannot wait till next year!
THIS WEEK'S CSA SHARE
A complete list of what's in the bag for this week.
- Heirloom Tomatoes - Habersham Farm / Mentone, Alabama
- Green Leaf Lettuce - Owl's Hollow Farm / Gadsden, Alabama
- Sweet Onions - Owl's Hollow Farm / Gadsden, Alabama
- Green Ischia Figs - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Grapes - Petals from the Past / Jemison, Alabama
- Mixed Sweet Peppers - Jones Valley Teaching Farm / Birmingham, Alabama
- Cheese and Jalapeno Bread - Hinkels on Main / Springville, Alabama
- Cucumbers - Knights Farm / Clanton, Alabama
- Green Beans - Knights Farm / Clanton, Alabama
- Spicy Sprout Mix - Grandview Farm / Montevallo, Alabama
Milk Share :
- Milk - Working Cow Dairy / Slocomb, Alabama
Cheese &/or Yogurt Share :
- Karst Cave Aged - Jasper Hills, Vermont
All recipes are selected to offer cooking suggestions on how to prepare the contents of your weekly share.
Don't forget to show off your food styling skills! Use hashtag #shfcsa and tag us on Instagram @stonehollowfarmstead